Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Hyperbolic

I had an idea yesterday and that idea required me to try out concept of hyperbolic tatting. I'd seen it around before of course and I had done my fair share of ruffled tatting even before that, but I wanted the classic spiral. This sent me to the same place I imagine this search sends everyone, a math heavy tutorial by Patty Dowden. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad someone did the math, but I prefer to feel the pattern rather than math it out in advance. So after a cursory look though the tutorial I gave it a go myself.

It turned out exactly as I needed it to except that my idea will require a very long version of it and I'm not entirely certain the best way to proceed. This piece starts with a base chain and we all know that usually a needle tatted element isn't longer than the needle itself, if you want it to look smooth anyway. So further experimenting will commence today. I already tried out a more complex pattern including rings, but I think I miscalculated so there will be further experimentation in that regard as well. The ideal pattern awaits in the ether.

In a stroke of luck I got in another order in the afternoon that will require me to make a couple of things, so I set aside the experiment and got to work on that. I have a bit more of that to finish up today and then it's back to the hyperbolic ideas. It's definitely a time consuming technique, but it does make the striking spiral I'm looking for, so I'm going to keep at it until my idea either works or crashes and burns.

4 comments:

Caseymini said...

I don't know what you are trying for, but whatever it is, it's going to be amazing. I am intrigued and will be watching to see what happens.

Jane McLellan said...

I'm a big fan of hyperbolic tatting, so I look forward to seeing what you do with this.

Unknown said...

I have been searching for ruffled tatting. Will you share the technique?

Unknown said...

I love this spiral effect also. Will you share this technique also?