Thursday, April 17, 2014

Inspiration

While the day was pretty routine, I was without focus for some time. After schooling I kept trying to get inspired by something, anything, but nothing was flipping on that mystery switch that makes me creative.

I finally resorted to public complaint about my lack of inspiration, but even that only returned suggestions that I wasn't really interested in. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love it when people toss ideas at me, I really do and I need them, but there is no way I'm making a baby hat...ever. I'm also never going to make booties. I couldn't have gotten either item on my kids if I tried, so I guess I find them the height of uselessness. Strangely, I still likely doilies occasionally, just not in white.

So I took a quick look through some bits I've passed on Pinterest and I ran across an antique or vintage edging that I thought I could twist to my will. It was just a picture so I  guessed the stitch counts and made a whole lot of changes along the way as well. It had a lot of long, loose chains and I don't like those at all, so I made them shorter and more stable. I also added several joins where none previously existed, again for stability and shape. I'm pretty sure I'm going to work out another row at the top. Since the original was attached to a linen of some sort, it's a little looser than I like and feels unfinished. Not sure how I'm going about it yet, but I feel inspired again, so it really doesn't matter. In this mood I can make dozens of mistakes and just keep going. Creativity is a wonderful thing.

We're off out of town for a bit today, so I'm not sure what, if anything, I'll manage to accomplish. I feel pretty good just having made something, even if it is heavily borrowed from days gone by. Hopefully by the time I'm finished it will look nothing like its' inspiration and I'll be in the right state of mind to start something from scratch.

No comments: