Thursday, March 7, 2013

Long Chains

I was having another of those, what should I do today, sort of days yesterday. That was, until the mailman brought me both my supply order, which game me something to organize and put away, and an envelope of beads that were destined to become one with strands of tatted chain.

So that's what I got up to yesterday, I tatted very long Josephine chains randomly dotted with beads, split rings and drips of beads. The thing about Josephine chains is the longer they get, the more frustrating they get. The thread begins to twist on both the needle and thread side. I spend countless moments standing to hang the work so that it spins free and countless more carefully pulling thread through and then de-tangling myself and the work when careful wasn't careful enough.

Something that seems so very simple and uncomplicated as a finished product can be entirely the opposite. I still have another length of this to finish and then it's headed to potentially be a small part of a piece of art much more complex and stunning than my lace.

I was so relived this morning to wake up to a sale...finally. Again, it's two bigger pieces so I have real tasks in queue and they are pieces I actually enjoy making as well, so it's a complete win-win for me. Once I finish up the lengths of Josephine chains, I'll get on these pieces that will need remaking and hopefully the happily working me will continue to attract some good luck. I'm ready for a nice upswing in everything.

4 comments:

JQ said...

Aplus. I really adore your work, and hope to buy a collar or cuff from you at some point soon. I've linked a few friends to your etsy shop, and know they will love it all.

Cheers!

Amalie Berlin said...

God, I'm so glad I am not the only one who hates making the Josephine chains. An exercise in frustration.

i agree that your work is lovely though. Though I'd add funky and cool to that descriptor :)

TotusMel said...

@JQ Thanks so much!

JQ said...

You're welcome. :) I love checking in here to see all the beautifuls.