Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The Next Generation

The household managed to slide right back into routine without too much fuss. There was a little resistance to schooling, but not much and after that when I sat down to start tatting for the day the cutest thing happened. Well, let me back up a bit. When I was cross stitching the butterflies last week, the youngest child was lamenting that she wanted to do that too. I thought maybe the desire would pass, but she didn't let it go. So over the weekend I picked up a couple of kids cross stitch kits, assuming the older one wouldn't want to be left out. I started teaching them on Sunday, but yesterday when I sat down, they both pulled out their little hoops and started working. The oldest wouldn't let me photograph her though.

You'd think with the vast array of hobby crafts I've done, they kids would have learned tons by now, but they've showed little interest in all but the ones they really can't do yet due to sharpness of tools or harshness of chemicals. I admit I got a little excited thinking that they would take to this, understand patterns and then I get to start them on the path to knitting, crochet, sewing and of course tatting. I may be getting a bit ahead of myself especially since they require my constant nearness to help with tangles and the pattern and all that which may challenge my patience as I try to get my own work done. It is a nice thought though.

So I'm trying to knuckle under and get all the remaking done that needs to be done. I got some completed yesterday, but there is still more and I am determined to get caught up again. I've also been falling back into the nasty habit of not finishing the pieces I am making, not adding the findings, I mean. Today I hope to get a pile of lace all finished up and I don't think it will be much longer before I get the hankering to design something again...or not. I am still feeling pretty lazy.

1 comment:

Stephanie Grace said...

Have you had them try plastic canvas? Plastic needles can be used and it will teach them stitching, etc... without much risk. The added bonus for children is that they can make furniture for their dolls, fun little puppety things, and much ... or just a pretty picture. I started with that at a very young age and still look at patterns every once in a while and debate having at it again... I'm rambling, but.. yeah... Plenty of great patterns for kids that can be fun and even useful (crayon cases, etc...), so it might be worth it...

♥,
Stephanie Grace