Thursday, February 24, 2011

Hexagonal

Sure, I spent the morning surrounded by cheese and kids, but when I got home, I got things done. Go me. First up is the latest circlet/headpiece. I initially wanted to make it more of a wedding piece with crystals or pearls, but I had these little brass bits lying about after a failed necklace creation, so they were recycled instead. This one has five tatted motifs around the side modified from an antique edging pattern. I am also getting a bit better at this chain length business. That being said, I think I'm done with these for a spell. I tend to get ahead of myself and make tons of things with a new idea before I even have any clue whether they will sell or not.

Once that was done I was in the mood to find something new to make with some of the beads I recently acquired. So I began flipping through my pattern books for something I hadn't yet tried to leap out at me. This process can sometimes be slow as I 'm not looking for anything in particular, but rather something that tells me it wants a new life as something that can't be seen on the page. I stopped on a hexagonal groundwork motif. It's simple, dense and can be worked up in countless configurations. The first being this bracelet that kind of has the feel of a link bracelet.

I didn't get either of these pieces all the way to finished for listing so that's my task for today. I just didn't feel like taking pictures by the time the afternoon rolled around. I've also been playing with other configurations and stitch counts for the hexagon. I made up a circle piece with them that might become a pendant and I'm testing out an undulating design for a potential necklace. Honestly though, I'm not sure why I'm doing so much with the design since joining the last ring together with a needle in these sort of motifs is always such a pain.

Which reminds me, I need to answer another email with that question in it...if you're reading and you're curious, here's how I do it. First I make the last ring up to the final join, then I pull those stitches off the needle being careful to not pull the thread all the way through. Then I use a crochet hook to make the join and work the last stitches. Pull those stitches through, finish and close the ring. Yes, it can get fiddly and remember to join the working thread and not to let the stitches get twisted around. I think this is one of those times when the shuttle tatters have it much easier without that long needle in the way. I probably should add this little bit to the barefoot sandal pattern as that's why I get asked all the time. Yeah I'll do that today too.

7 comments:

Irena said...

urocze i oryginalne, pozdrawiam Irena

jenilin said...

love the headpieces they seem to be really big in the fashion world this season, and they are beautiful.

God's Kid said...

Love the head piece! And the bracelet looks awesome! :)

HippieKender said...

I really dig the hexagons - probably because they look like flowers to me :)

Nikki said...

You said you have pattern books? Where did you find them and what are their names? I love the things you make and want to try to figure it out myself.

TotusMel said...

Thanks all!
@Nikki most of the books I have are not readily available. They are mostly vintage and antique finds from etsy and ebay. Check out http://antiquepatternlibrary.org though for some inspiration.

louine said...

Love the new hexagonal bracelet....are you not going to do a clasp or is it like a bangle with no clasp?