Friday, May 28, 2010

At The End Of The Week Again

Oh Friday, I'm so glad to see you. I of course have to use you to clean so I can have Saturday for a birthday party, but that's okay. I'm just glad that you're here and they're are no more meetings or appointments, really, thanks for coming.

So you might not believe it, but two days in a row I got my creative on. On Wednesday I got a message asking me if I was interested in making a larder necklace dripping with elytra. Why, yes I had intended on doing that quite some time ago, but as I didn't seem to have anyone waiting for it and I am easily sidetracked with other things, it has not yet been attempted. Since I was given a reason and Thursday gave me some time, I started to work on it.

First I used my brand new extra tiny drill bits to drill holes in a bag full of beetle wings, then I set about trying to find the right style upon which to lay them. After a search though my existing pieces failed to invoke an a-ha moment, I started the search through the vintage books. You see, even though I can design my own pieces, I prefer to start with something tangible, that I can see before I start. Often this results in a slightly modifies vintage pattern and of course something I go all crazy like and just start tatting to see what happens. This time I found the edging of a hankie to have the right amount of curve to lay where I want it. I always tat the pattern as written the first go around. It's like what the teacher always said about writing, you have to know the rules before you can break them.

I've already started work on the final piece. I made several stitch count changes and they'll be some rearranging of of picots so that the elytra hang just right, but I think I might be able to knock this one out today...maybe. I do still have a tile floor to clean and as that is most of the downstairs floor, it takes a bit. Then there is the kitchen and I still have laundry and well let's just say I will not much miss this week when it is finally gone.

3 comments:

Tatfully Yours said...

It is only 1:45 Friday afternoon and I am at home from work. I'm the same as you. I am going to get my housework done asap so maybe I can tat this weekend. Have a good party and weekend!!!

H J Hess said...

Gaaaaaaah, that is absolutely jaw-dropping gorgeous!
Who would have thought that bug-wings would make positively crave-able jewelry?

Kim said...

I like how that's looking. Will the beetle wings go all the way around the neck? Either way, very cool.