Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Oops

I was fortunate to get a custom request from a friend yesterday, so I was making that most of the morning. Then I spent a little time working on remaking some pieces listed as custom, which is code for I haven't gotten off my lazy bum to get one made yet. Then...then my friends I got creative. Not the good creative, the regresty, craftastrophe sort.

I wanted to continue the Wonderland theme and after I got a Disney email to enter their related sweepstakes emblazoned with the Mad Hatter, I decided to give that a go. I had an idea, but it really needed more fleshing out. Did I flesh said idea out before I began? I think you can imagine that I didn't. I just started tatting. I grabbed balls of thread and random supplies, sat down and, well basically threw up all over some lace.

The concept was the black lace hat mixed with the flamboyant colors. I figured I was make small flowers and add them sparingly to the black base. Maybe add a bit of sequins sparkle and I had a hat pin that was a free gift with purchase that I thought I'd add. What happened however was the afore mentioned vomit. Perhaps I was distracted, unfocused, whatever...the point is I think I went overboard covering the whole piece with the flowers when I intended to layer them a bit making sure that you could see the black. I wish I could have warned you to brace yourself before looking, but you've already seen it.

Don't let the artistic angle of the photo fool you either, this thing is a mess. I was going for random, I ended up with off balanced. Sure, I know the Mad Hatter is off balanced, maybe it does tell the tale well, but I can't imagine this thing selling. So, no I'm not listing the Hatter piece as is. So why did I bother sharing all of this? I suppose I wanted to share proof that I am incredibly fallible, that I am fully aware that not everything that comes off my needles is genius. Maybe, I was just amused and thought you might be too. Anyway, I will begin again. Perhaps this time I will add a single flower to the center to begin and give the whole thing focus before adding the madness. I think I will still use the awful hat pin even though that makes the piece completely one of a kind and I think instead of random sequins, I might just bust out the filament again so the pieces remain related. See this is the sort of fleshing out I was referring to earlier. Note to self...do this first, then tat.

I hope you've enjoyed this brief glimpse at tatting disaster. My Grandfather should be in town today, so there may be a distinct lack of tatting to share tomorrow...I never know. I hope the next time I have a Mad Hatter to share, he is...genius.

5 comments:

Sara said...

Well, it is a little mad. Thanks for making me feel better about some of my, uh, creations. :)

Emi said...

it certainly is colorful :)
nice to see everyone has projects that just don't work out

Kitika said...

actually, it kind of reminds me of the momeraths in the old disney animated film...

mermaiden said...

i have a box that i toss those kinds of snafus into- every once i a while i dig through it and salvage some old disaster :D

EJPcreations said...

Sometimes you just need to have those days, and those kind of projects. Happy accidents they are called, but I like your phrase better... Throwing up all over lace... tee hee! Keep going everything you make is beautiful!