Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Huzzah

Yeah, that's right, I said huzzah. It's over now, let's move on. You might have noticed that there is a new link at the top of the 'Where I'm featured now' list. I was fortunate to do an interview for a lovely fellow who writes a Steam Punk blog. He's a wonderful writer and the the pieces are a great mix of topics. Okay that's the end of the plug. The reason I mention this is, he asked about my Lady Loves Absinthe necklace. It's the one I created for the Spring Beading Challenge. Unlike most of my pieces, it was anything but simple. It's over the top and extremely dramatic. I assumed it would sit in my store forever as an art piece that everyone likes to look at, but would never even imagine wearing it. I think you probably know where I'm going with this, but just in case, you haven't already figured it out, I sold it!

While I'm extraordinarily happy about the sale, it's a bittersweet moment. Each time I sell a one of a kind piece, it's kind of like saying goodbye to a child. Okay, that's a bad metaphor, but you get what I'm saying. A lot of my pieces can be recreated with little effort and I have no problem sending them on their way, but there will never be another Lady Loves Absinthe. I don't think I could make this piece again, even if I tried. The sale has also given me a kick in the butt to create another 'art' piece. I've gotten used to having at least one around, so I'll be mulling over ideas for the next few days. Please feel free to share any ideas you have as I create best when challenged outside my comfort zone.

3 comments:

Callooh Callay said...

Amazing piece of art! I'd love to see a picture of this and the outfit it's going to be worn with.

Sarah Dungan said...

I've been having good fun with 'themes' as inspiration lately. I'll take something not too broad but not super specific like "The Airship Captain" and try to extrapolate on that.
Maybe "The Airship Pilot's Wife"? hehe the souvenirs he sends her on his long voyages away from her loving arms?

Holly said...

That is just a magnificent piece!